Tuesday 8 October 2013

Somewhere in the Adriatic

Short post today.  We left Venice this morning, travelling south, at 6.15 am in order to catch the ferry at 2.00 pm.  We had a stop at Ravenna, another ancient Italian city.  It is where Dante ,the poet and founder of the Italian language is buried in a beautiful mausoleum.



We also went to visit a church where there are mosaics on the floor in the basement of the church, Basilica di Vitale. There are even some goldfish swimming in the water, although i don't know how they  get fed.  I didn't hear why the mosaics are under water, i need to research that.




Next on the agenda was a look at this ancient baptristy, Battistero Degli Ariani.  It has a domed mosaic roof of a scene to commemorate the baptism of Jesus. 



We left Ravenna and made our way south east to the Port of Arcona where we boarded the ferry, at total of 320 kms today.  Now we are on the Greek ferry Minoan, it has 10 decks so its quite big,  we will be on here for 24 hours, getting of at Patras on the other side.  I cant believe I have been on so many boats of all shapes and sizes, way out of my comfort zone.  I have done the blog early just in case......


This is our very comfortable cabin, with outside views, which I could take or leave but Paul is very excited about it.. We are having a welcome aboard drink with the Captain at 7pm, and breakfast is only 9am, yay a sleep in.
 
Wish me luck !





.


1 comment:

  1. Did you see the Double Wedding Ring design on that mosaic tiled floor? You WILL be busy making trip quilts when you get back, Carolyn.
    I think this is the part of your trip I am most envious about. The cruising in the Greek Isles. The colours always look so wonderful and bright. Enjoy an ouzo or two for me, won't you!

    ReplyDelete